A Keyframe of Mind is back with a quick episode on putting together game animation reels! In this episode, Esther drops 15 minutes of real reel tips on everything from cutting down unnecessary shots, to spending time on your reel where it counts, to exactly what you should ask when requesting a reel critique. And to make it as easy listening as possible, the entire episode is accompanied by some suuuuper relaxing music (in an attempt to exude the chillest vibes possible in these stressful times)!
We hope this episode is a helpful resource for anyone starting to put together a gameplay animation reel! If you’ve got additional tips, feel free to tweet them at us @akeyframeofmind so that we can share them out!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Riot Animation Team’s Lightbox 2020 live reel review: https://youtu.be/8z79C4v6oMA?t=13705
- Jean-Denis Haas’ playlist for demo reels: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxFjjyAzIHYI8UEq-_Urfn6Ka4L_i7jw_
- David Pumpa’s grading rubric for reels: https://twitter.com/Shrill_Llama/status/1317100129816596480
- Jason Shum’s old Anim Break videos: https://youtu.be/wP11XI4vs-w and https://youtu.be/898EPbAk8Rc
- Syncsketch: https://syncsketch.com/
- Animstate’s Discord community: https://discord.gg/HtZ5S7H
- Kristjan Zadziuk’s gameplay animation showreel reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSUm-tkuKaCq3QhVPmv2RWEvU0ohB1z0I
- Erica Pinto’s thread on camera animation in animation shots: https://twitter.com/psyham/status/1319537729365921792
- Atmospheric Clouds by Bobby Cole https://www.storyblocks.com/audio/stock/atmospheric-clouds-heksq_anlwrk0wy4a5z.html
- Multitudes by Lance Conrad https://www.storyblocks.com/audio/stock/multitudes-hkh2ypqo8kao4a4s3.html